5 Important Things to Keep in Mind Before You Consider Getting A Colonoscopy
According to the National Cancer Center in Singapore, colorectal cancer is the most common cancer in the country. More than a thousand cases are diagnosed every year. Needless to say, this should be more than enough reason for you to undergo a colonoscopy screening to check if you are more susceptible to the dreaded disease. This is even more important if you have a history of cancer in your family. Here are some important things you should keep in mind before getting a colonoscopy:
- It’s necessary especially if you are beyond 50 years old. The majority of the people diagnosed with colorectal cancer are in their 50s and beyond. This is because at this age, the walls of the colon and intestines are more prone to infection and the growth of polyps. It’s also worth mentioning here that colorectal cancer often has very little symptoms during its early stages. A colonoscopy would be instrumental in finding out about the disease before it gets worse.
- Preparing for the colonoscopy can take at least a week. The procedure is very sensitive, and its success will largely depend on how you prepare for it. Preparation usually includes eating a low-fiber diet, not eating solids, taking colon cleansers, and not eating nor drinking before the procedure.
- You have to go through a series of tests before you’ll be given the green light to have a colonoscopy. These tests will determine if you are ready for the procedure. Some of these tests can take weeks, so it’s advisable that you consult with a doctor months before you intend to get a colonoscopy.
- A colonoscopy is a bit expensive, so make sure that you have the funds for it before you decide to get one. A colonoscopy in Singapore usually costs between $2000 and $4000 (Singapore Dollars).
- There are risks associated with the procedure. The most serious possible side effect is perforation of the walls of the intestines. People who are also suffering from other illnesses, like diverticulitis, have higher risks of having their intestine walls perforated. This problem can be avoided if you get the services of an experienced doctor.
The bottom line here is that colonoscopy is a very important screening test that can help in the early detection of illnesses afflicting the colon and intestines. Keep in mind that the earlier you are diagnosed, the better chances you have in undergoing successful treatments. Furthermore, it’s advisable that you inquire about colonoscopy screening in Singapore to ensure that you get the right clinic with experienced and knowledgeable physicians.